[lbo-talk] language query

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:27:46 PST 2007

On 2/7/07, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > Jerry: Well yes, as Bateson was fond of saying, "The Map is not the
> > > Territory", borrowing from Alfred Korzybski, I believe. Sometimes the
> > > map is not even a good guide to the territory.
> >
> > A "map" is not the right metaphor for "el Sur." It's a banner, held
> > up by the leaders of Venezuela and like-minded leaders elsewhere. At
> > present, they are a minority, but an insurgent, not declining, group.
> > They will never win over all countries that could theoretically belong
> > in "el Sur," but the more they can line up on their terms, the better.
> > --
> > Yoshie
>
> Alfred Korzybski's aphorism "the map is not the territory", may be
> right or wrong, as a semantic premise, but it was not meant to refer
> specifically to maps. It was meant to remind us of certain kind of
> consistent mistakes by referring to a quasi-Kantian premise that
> humans are often confusing "representations" with what is being
> represented, and the "thing-itself" is not the representation, etc.

When you use the metaphor of maps, you are approaching the world analytically, as an object of knowledge (as in, does this map represent the world better than that map?); when you use the metaphor of banners, you are thinking of the world as a place where you pursue a political project (as in, can we line up more people under this banner than that banner?). "El Sur" is a political project, not a given.

It's not for us to name. It's for Hugo Chavez, et al. to name. For it is their political project. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>