[lbo-talk] language query

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:53:06 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Jerry: Well yes, as Bateson was fond of saying, "The Map is not the
> > Territory", borrowing from Alfred Korzybski, I believe. Sometimes the
> > map is not even a good guide to the territory.
>
> A "map" is not the right metaphor for "el Sur." It's a banner, held
> up by the leaders of Venezuela and like-minded leaders elsewhere. At
> present, they are a minority, but an insurgent, not declining, group.
> They will never win over all countries that could theoretically belong
> in "el Sur," but the more they can line up on their terms, the better.
> --
> Yoshie

Alfred Korzybski's aphorism "the map is not the territory", may be right or wrong, as a semantic premise, but it was not meant to refer specifically to maps. It was meant to remind us of certain kind of consistent mistakes by referring to a quasi-Kantian premise that humans are often confusing "representations" with what is being represented, and the "thing-itself" is not the representation, etc.

I don't completely agree with Bateson, but some of what he says should be taken into account:

"We say the map is different from the territory. But what is the territory? Operationally, somebody went out with a retina or a measuring stick and made representations which were then put on paper. What is on the paper map is a representation of what was in the retinal representation of the man who made the map; and as you push the question back, what you find is an infinite regress, an infinite series of maps. The territory never gets in at all. […] Always, the process of representation will filter it out so that the mental world is only maps of maps, ad infinitum." (From "Substance and Difference", in "Steps to an Ecology of Mind.")

In the context of "El Sur", which I was not thinking about when I was replying to Carrol, it is important to remind ourselves that what ever we name "El Sur", or "third world" countries, or "developing countries" that the name itself usually comes out of a set of assumptions, implicit or explicit, that we should unpack, in order not to take the assumptions for granted (or even to accept the assumptions) and in order not to put all of the countries in "one basket" for every type of analysis or argument. To state the obvious, the interests of Brazil are not the same as the interests of India, and certainly not the same as the interests of Cuba or Vietnam, etc.

Names _do_ matter politically, though we cannot always unpack the assumptions, nor can we always, understand the ideological implications, that provide the foundation for the "name."

At least this is the best way for me to state this problem.

Jerry