[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart and SEIU Unite

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 7 11:29:53 PST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Mark Rickling wrote:

> Wal-Mart and a Union Unite, at Least on Health Policy

Call me a dinosaur, but I doubt anything good can come of this.

Who's the senior, and who's the junior, partner in this duo? What does this do to the idea of Wal-Mart as the symbol of modern capitalism, which was one of organized labor's prime images? Why does SEIU shun any attempt to build popular organizations for single- payer? Why does Stern dismiss single-payer as "a Canadian import"? You make deals with the devil *after* you've organized some divisions on your side, not before.

Doug