[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart and SEIU Unite

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:06:23 PST 2007

Can anyone explain what exactly Stern's position is? It comes off very incoherently in the articles I've collected over the months, and this one is not very helpful. In one paragraph he sounds like a proponent of the so-called private welfare state:

"So during today's meeting, Mr. Stern and Mr. Scott will announce a campaign to seek public acceptance of several principles of health policy. One goal is universal health coverage by a specific date, somewhere around 2012. Another is the idea of shared responsibility, emphasizing that individuals, businesses and government all play roles in financing health care and expanding coverage."

And in another, a critic:

"But in July, the icy relationship between the men began to thaw after Mr. Stern wrote an op-ed article encouraging large corporations to work with unions to create alternatives to the employer-based health coverage system, which he said was collapsing. "