[lbo-talk] Dada

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:13:27 PST 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 2/8/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> > Yoshie:
> >

> > Grandstanding is fun, and fun is good, according to the ethos of LBO-talk.
> > :->
> >
> > Seriously, human beings have an ancient desire for the heroic mode of
> > rhetoric. The epic is the oldest genre of poetry.
> >

> > [WS:] Granted. But what if that mode undercuts the chances of achieving a
> > real life success?

Yoshie left room for oversimplifying the heroic mode in general and epic in particular -- and Wojtek draws only one of the possible 'morals' even that simplified epic appeal allows. Let's begin in the middle of the middle as it were. Under what conditions do we see _the_ hero of heroes in actual fighting? Answer when he has gone berserk with the combination OF grief and of betrayal by a superior. The only hint we have of the "normal" Achilles as warrior is in his brief conversation with the doomed Lykaon:

'Poor fool, no longer speak to me of ransom, nor argue it. In the time before Patroklus came to the day of his destiny then it was the way of my heart's choice to be sparing of the Trojans, and many I took alive and disposed of them. Now there is not one who can escape death . . . .'

And would that judges in the U.S. today might manifest the tact and wisdom Achilles shows in presiding over the quarreling achaian lords in the funeral games for Patroklus, or that more professors in our elite institutions possessed the self-awareness Achilles shows as he entertains Priam in his tent:

'Therefore you [Priam] must not furthr make my spirit move in my sorrows, for fear, old sir, I might not let you alone in my shelter, suppliant as you are; and be guilty before the god's orders.'

Perhaps W means that the sensitivity and great soul of Achilles would "undercut the chances of achieving a real life success"; that real success is best served by the contempt for humanity W regularly shows on this list.

Carrol