[lbo-talk] Save planet, win $25 mil

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 17:44:18 PST 2007

On 2/10/07, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
> [God forbid Rich should hafta shut down his airline]
>
> <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/09/AR2007020900693.html>
>
> $25 Million Offered In Climate Challenge
> Tycoon Hopes to Spur Milestone Research
>
> By Kevin Sullivan
> Washington Post Foreign Service
> Saturday, February 10, 2007; Page A13
>
> LONDON, Feb. 9 -- British billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson,
> with former vice president Al Gore at his side, offered a $25 million
> prize Friday to anyone who can come up with a way to blunt global
> climate change by removing at least a billion tons of carbon dioxide a
> year from the Earth's atmosphere.
<snip>
> Details on the $25 million competition can be found
> athttp://www.virginearth.com.

The Web site says that "The Virgin Earth Challenge is a prize of $25m for whoever can demonstrate to the judges' satisfaction a _commercially viable_ design which results in the removal of anthropogenic, atmospheric greenhouse gases so as to contribute materially to the stability of Earth's climate" (emphasis added, <http://www.virginearth.com/>). But there is no commercially viable way to stop climate change, and most people in the world, the working class as well as the ruling class, are bent on business as usual. And if Jim Hansen is correct that we have only about ten years for a window of opportunity to adopt the alternative scenario that he advocates, it is safe to say that we won't make it.

<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19131> Volume 53, Number 12 · July 13, 2006 The Threat to the Planet By Jim Hansen

The business-as-usual scenario yields an increase of about five degrees Fahrenheit of global warming during this century. . . .

How much will sea level rise with five degrees of global warming? Here too, our best information comes from the Earth's history. The last time that the Earth was five degrees warmer was three million years ago, when sea level was about eighty feet higher.

Eighty feet! In that case, the United States would lose most East Coast cities: Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Miami; indeed, practically the entire state of Florida would be under water. Fifty million people in the US live below that sea level. Other places would fare worse. China would have 250 million displaced persons. Bangladesh would produce 120 million refugees, practically the entire nation. India would lose the land of 150 million people.

A rise in sea level, necessarily, begins slowly. Massive ice sheets must be softened and weakened before rapid disintegration and melting occurs and the sea level rises. It may require as much as a few centuries to produce most of the long-term response. But the inertia of ice sheets is not our ally against the effects of global warming. The Earth's history reveals cases in which sea level, once ice sheets began to collapse, rose one meter (1.1 yards) every twenty years for centuries. That would be a calamity for hundreds of cities around the world, most of them far larger than New Orleans. Devastation from a rising sea occurs as the result of local storms which can be expected to cause repeated retreats from transitory shorelines and rebuilding away from them.

The business-as-usual scenario, with five degrees Fahrenheit global warming and ten degrees Fahrenheit at the ice sheets, certainly would cause the disintegration of ice sheets. The only question is when the collapse of these sheets would begin. The business-as-usual scenario, which could lead to an eventual sea level rise of eighty feet, with twenty feet or more per century, could produce global chaos, leaving fewer resources with which to mitigate the change in climate. The alternative scenario, with global warming under two degrees Fahrenheit, still produces a significant rise in the sea level, but its slower rate, probably less than a few feet per century, would allow time to develop strategies that would adapt to, and mitigate, the rise in the sea level.

The alternative scenario I have been referring to has been designed to be consistent with the Kyoto Protocol, i.e., with a world in which emissions from developed countries would decrease slowly early in this century and the developing countries would get help to adopt "clean" energy technologies that would limit the growth of their emissions. Delays in that approach—especially US refusal both to participate in Kyoto and to improve vehicle and power plant efficiencies—and the rapid growth in the use of dirty technologies have resulted in an increase of 2 percent per year in global CO2 emissions during the past ten years. If such growth continues for another decade, emissions in 2015 will be 35 percent greater than they were in 2000, making it impractical to achieve results close to the alternative scenario. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>