[lbo-talk] Anti-Globalization and Anti-War Movements in the USA

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:12:24 PST 2007

While I agree with Chuck's assessment of the anti-globalization movement, my comments were not necessarily focused on that movement. (after all, I do quote Luxemburg... who is neither an anarchist, nor part of the anti-globalization movement.) I think that ACT-UP might be another way of thinking of this issue. ACT-UP took a decentralized approach that brought together direct action with concrete calls for reform. At the same time, ACT-UP folks were able to produce highly charged events with very small numbers. Also, this managed to produce very concrete accomplishments around treatment (although these are still insufficient.) I think that a lot of ACT-UP's methods translated into the anti-globalization, such as theatricality, flexibility, and a multiplicity of tactics. If there was anything that was exciting about the moment of the movement, it was that people of very different political perspectives on the left were in conversation with each other. The friends that I have from reformist standpoints primarily come from this moment.

robert wood