[lbo-talk] Anti-Globalization and Anti-War Movements in the USA

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 20:52:03 PST 2007

> On Feb 12, 2007, at 7:22 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > What has worked for the top half of ACT-UP's domestic constituency
> > doesn't work so well to achieve international debt cancellation, let
> > alone close the economic gap between the North and the South.
>
> Whaddya expect? ACT-UP had a relatively narrow set of issues that the
> system could accommodate without bending itself out of shape; debt
> cancellation and closing N-S gaps are completely different matters.
> Why even bring it up? ACT-UP deserves a lot of admiration for what it
> did.

I'm saying what I'm saying because Robert Wood wrote that "a lot of ACT-UP's methods translated into the anti-globalization, such as theatricality, flexibility, and a multiplicity of tactics." Things that were once fresh and worked as well as they could to save richer white gay men just don't work as well for other purposes.

Paradoxically, countries like Cuba that could have very well benefited from identity politics like ACT UP's didn't have conditions that would give rise to them, and countries like the USA that needed and still need a movement for single-payer health care in particular and social democracy in general even more than ACT UP didn't have it, still don't have it, and will probably never get it. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>