[lbo-talk] Noam on intellectuals

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 15:46:04 PST 2007

Chomsky has argued that the mind-body problem can't actually be coherently stated because there is no noncircular account of what counts as "physical," thus nothing to oppose to "mental." That's not saying that everything is mental, but that the dichotomy is false. I'm not saying I agree, but the idea has a certain appeal and it is hard to give a noncircular account of what's "physical" or "material" or whatever you think that's opposed to "mental."

Chomsky's Cartesianism, self-described, derives from a different source -- Descartes' advocacy of "innate ideas," as opposed to the "blank slate" notion (that everything in the mind comes from experience) supposedly advocated by empiricists like Locke (who comes later), Berkeley,a nd Hume (much later). None of whom advocated a blank slate view.

But Chomsky sees his transformational grammar as a sort of innate idea, a structure to our language (all human language) that we come with without having to learn it from experience the way we learn to speak a particular language. (I am carefully avoiding the term "genetic" here, as Chomsky also does usually in this context.) That is why he calls himself "Cartesian."