[lbo-talk] Antiwar sentiment in popular television programs

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 12 20:57:29 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/12/07, bitch at pulpculture.org <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:
> > Which made me wonder, has anyone compiled a list of antiwar sentiments
> > expressed in popular television series this season? I don't watch TV
> > regularly -- The L Word is the only thing I watch, though this last episode
> > of The Sopranos was sufficiently interesting that I was reeled back in
> > after being bored by it last year.
>
> (on the other hand, it's worth noting that both of the above were on
> cable. I can't recall any on network TV.)

If Fox is a network, then it had the (overrated) Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" thing at the end. And there's occasionally quips about on the show, IIRC...

Wasn't Battlestar Galactica shown on NBC? They really go nuts on occupation/terrorism themes. So for example, protagonists were leading bloody insurgencies where they used terrorist tactics. (Suicide bombings, etc.) Early in the series, they sympathetically portrayed a terrorist/freedomfighter who later became a high-profile political figure in the series.

Tayssir