[lbo-talk] AIDS in the USA, AIDS in the World

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 01:21:57 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:
> To magnanimously offer to conceed something like 'act up did try to help
> poor people' is patronizing and offensive. ACT UP and TAC -are- the HIV+
> poor, in Philadelphia and Joburg respectively. A regular monthly meeting of
> fifty activists from poor black HIV+ community, combined with an ability to
> mobilize between 500 and 5000 from that community to actions in DC
> or NYC or
> Delaware, does not constitute theatrical identity politics, Yoshie. It
> constitutes the height of individual groups ability to wield mass power in a
> radical context in the US. And to assert that this struggle, or as you put
> it a combination of Democratic party politics, identity politics and theatre
> makes noise and only marginal gains, is of malevolent priviledged disdain to
> millions alive in the global south because of these victories, and I take of
> personal offense to friends and comrades of mine in South Africa and
> Philadelphia who did not live to see the benefits of.

According to _The Demographic Impact of HIV/AIDS in South Africa: National and Provincial Indicators for 2006_, "It is estimated that by the middle of 2006 some 711 thousand people were in need of ART [antiretroviral treatment], while approximately some 225 thousand are receiving it" (p. 1, <http://www.mrc.ac.za/bod/DemographicImpactHIVIndicators.pdf>).

Worldwide, it is estimated that "by 2015, in the 60 countries most affected by AIDS, the total population will be 115 million less than it would be in the absence of AIDS" (_Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2006_, Chapter 4 "The Impact of AIDS on People and Societies," <http://www.unaids.org/en/HIV_data/2006GlobalReport/default.asp>).

It is safe to say that the holocaust is continuing. I hardly think it is patronizing or offensive to say that ACT UP or the Democratic Party won't stop it nor can either be expected to be able to, when they can't stop the Bush administration from largely flat-funding Ryan White* for six years (Eric Resnick, "Bush's Budget Flat-funds Ryan White Act, Again," <http://www.gaypeopleschronicle.com/stories07/february/0209074.htm>). It's just recognition of truth.

Now, your rejoinder may be that all of us should be doing more of the same, joining ACT UP or voting for the Democratic Party or both. I don't see GLBT activists getting back en masse into ACT UP (recall the Civil Rights Movement declined before the economic justice component of its demands, which was far more central to the movement than to ACT UP, could be met). Voting for Democrats no matter what will be no doubt the only choice most leftists and liberals will support in the foreseeable future. That, to me, is a problem, but not all problems have concrete solutions.

* Some AIDS activists see a need for a different approach: "Much of AIDS funding was based on the idea of AIDS exceptionalism and powerful interest-group support for a unique continuum of services for people with HIV/AIDS. . . . Without advancing the idea of national health care for all Americans, AIDS funding would not last. . . . Project Inform called for AIDS activists to work in coalition with advocates for people with other chronic diseases 'to create solutions which can last a lifetime,' without leaving people with HIV/AIDS perched on the fragile political limb of annually renewed programs and services" (Benjamin Shepard, "A Campaign to End AIDS Once and for All," <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/shepard200705.html>). That approach is also based on recognition that poor people with HIV or AIDS often suffer from other diseases** and may die of them rather than AIDS, in addition to general poor health on account of poverty. But there is no popular movement for single-payer health care here, and one may never arise.

** Globally, tuberculosis "kills around 2 million people each year. One-third of the world's population is currently infected with TB and someone is newly infected every few seconds. . . . TB is the leading cause of death among HIV infected people; the WHO estimates that TB accounts for up to a third of AIDS deaths worldwide" ("AIDS, HIV, & Tuberculosis (TB)" <http://www.avert.org/tuberc.htm>). -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>