[lbo-talk] Franken announces

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 15:49:16 PST 2007

<http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-021407franken,0,687490.story?coll=la-home-headlines>http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-021407franken,0,687490.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Comedian Al Franken enters Minn. Senate race

From Associated Press

11:26 AM PST, February 14, 2007

Comedian Al Franken said today he will run for the Senate in 2008, challenging Republican incumbent Norm Coleman.

Franken's announcement came on the final day of his radio show on Air America. The decision by the former "Saturday Night Live" performer instantly makes him a serious contender and brings national attention to the race.

"Minnesotans have a right to be skeptical about whether I'm ready for this challenge, and to wonder how seriously I would take the responsibility that I'm asking you to give me," Franken said in a video on his Web site.

"I want you to know: Nothing means more to me than making government work better for the working families of this state, and over the next 20 months, I look forward to proving to you that I take these issues seriously," Franken said.

Franken's name is well-known and he is likely to be well-funded, but he's expected to be challenged by several other Democrats, including wealthy trial attorney Mike Ciresi.