[lbo-talk] Sushi

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:23:10 PST 2007

On 2/15/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> As to the cuisine - is there such a thing as the American cuisine as opposed
> to "ethnic" cuisines available here? I do not think of fast food as
> "cuisine" - it is just a corporate marketing gimmick, so if we leave junk
> food out, what would be "the" American food?

Wikipedia has a pretty good overview, especially since it talks about regional cuisines like Chicago-style thick pizzas or Cajun cuisine: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_United_States#The_origins_of_American_cuisine>

But I actually think fastfood is kind of interesting... Even perfectly radical-minded Europeans self-deprecatingly joke about their fondness of even the deadliest US fastfoods, like a Belgian I met who loves Kentucky Fried Chicken, or a German who needs to eat at McD's whenever he visits a new city.

And there are counterparts to US fastfood, like those Turkish döner shops which are ubiquitous in many German cities, and hotdogs in Norway.

Tayssir