[lbo-talk] Sushi

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:41:18 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, this is off-topic to any conceivalbe radical debate, but- a while back
> I mocked highfalutin tastes of the highbrow, being more of a Joe Twelvepack
> myself. I just wanted to admit my wrongness. My girlfriend got me to try
> sushi, and, ah, the stuff is THE SHIT! Totally amazing. I am now all
> aflutter wondering what other incredible fancy foods I have missed out on
> with my aggressively lowbrow tastes, and am planning to go on a whirlwind
> tour of cheeses, organic produce, fine foods of all varieties. In addition
> to budgeting for eating sushi as often as financially possible. Right now I
> have the idea that I can 'break the bank' on sushi by going to all you can
> eat sushi deals, because despite the high price tag, my ability to eat my
> weight should serve me well.

I think you'll love Anthony Bourdain's _Kitchen Confidential_. Incredibly entertaining book, and I suspect you'll love it.

(I also like Michael Ruhlman's books on the culinary industry, though they're more G-rated...)

Bourdain's FoodTV special, "Decoding Ferran Adria," was really fun too. Makes food prep seem kind of exciting.

Caveat: I like reading about food, have fancy cookbooks, and am in the center of Old Europe -- yet my idea of being adventurous is making Nutella pancakes. (For some reason "restaurant food" never tastes as good as I expect.) Pathetic.

Tayssir