[lbo-talk] a bitch needs to fan herself

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Feb 17 06:18:04 PST 2007

On Saturday 17 February 2007 07:10 am, Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
> > Which is exactly why job interviews are such a pathetic method for
> > hiring people. We have decades of evidence that interview performance
> > has no correlation with actual job performance in most fields, but we
> > carry out this cultural ritual of job interviews to "make sure" the
> > applicant is the "right person" for the job. It's a bloody waste of time.
>
> Respectfully, I'm not so sure this conclusion is correct, from the
> perspective of a corporation.

I used to do a lot of technical interviewing -- not lately, thank God; I always found it more of an ordeal to be the interviewer than the interviewee. SInce I have had from early youth a settled disbelief in the rational and technocratic pretensions of corporations and other bureaucracies, my unclouded mind was able to figure out that there were two questions and two only that I needed to answer:

1) Does the person actually know C, or Java, or TCP/IP, or whatever, at some reasonable level? This is easy to determine.

2) Did I like him or her? Also easy to determine.

I never had the experience of one of my thumbs-up recommendations turning out badly. Of course I probably turned away plenty of people who would have worked out fine, but I felt at the time -- rather selfishly, I know -- that that was a problem for them, not for me. What would have been a problem for me was an incompetent or disagreeable colleague.

By the way, people who acted like they were "already a member of the club," and tried to make me persuade them, got a five-minute interview and an emphatic thumbs-down. Not that I wanted anybody to grovel, but conceit and a sense of entitlement augur badly for your future working relationship.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org

"You have heretofore read public sentiment in your newspapers, that live by falsehood and excitement; and the quicker you seek for truth in other quarters, the better." --W.T. Sherman