[lbo-talk] a bitch needs to fan herself

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Feb 17 08:26:31 PST 2007

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> Personally, I advise businesses to maybe offer a puzzle to candidates
> applying for a programming position. Nothing stressful; email them
> some (time-respecting, relatively simple) programming puzzles and ask
> them to maybe solve one of them. (After all, would you hire a juggler
> without seeing them juggle?)

At this point in my career, if I was confronted with a "puzzle" to solve, I would be out the door in a heartbeat.

I find this kind of interview trick to be offensive. How many interviews for other professions involve a "puzzle" during an interview? Do lawyers have to get up and stage a mock defense of a client? Do doctors have to perform surgery to demonstrate their knowledge? Do architects have to design a house?

I can see providing my portfolio to an employers, but interview gimmicks like you describe is a clear warning bell for me that I'm not going to be treated professionally when I'm actually working for the employer.

Chuck

-------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/