[lbo-talk] a bitch needs to fan herself

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 19:14:58 PST 2007

--- Arash <arash at riseup.net> wrote:

> themselves. More to the
> point, the process of acquiring language, where the
> complexity of grammar
> seems to be intuited in a highly implicit way and
> usually cannot be fully
> mastered after childhood, doesn't seem at like the
> kind of learning
> involved in job training.

[WS:] Yes, but by the time they are to acquire job skills most people have been socialized to diffrent social roles, some of them requiring to be stupid. The point I was making is that ceteris paribus, every person is capable of achieving a comparable level of competence that most other people have, as evidenced by the mastery of language. What happens, however, is that "ceteris paribus" seldom obtains in the real world. Some people are actively encouraged and coached to learn new skills and abilites, others are discouraged and punished for it. So by the time people reach adulthood, this social conditioning amount to substantial diffrences in abilities, especially that "unused" brain cells are "trimmed out" during adolescence.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail