[lbo-talk] Woj on language

Arash arash at riseup.net
Sun Feb 18 21:29:13 PST 2007

The analogy seems ill-formed, what basis is there for assuming that the active acquisition of skills you're taking about are at all similar in nature to language acquisition? It is very debatable if language really involves any active learning or is rather like a system that self-organizes after exposure to certain input, a bit like the way in which our visual system develops. The latter perspective is what Chomsky is getting at when he talks about language "growing."

[WS:] Yes, but by the time they are to acquire job skills most people have been socialized to diffrent social roles, some of them requiring to be stupid. The point I was making is that ceteris paribus, every person is capable of achieving a comparable level of competence that most other people have, as evidenced by the mastery of language. What happens, however, is that "ceteris paribus" seldom obtains in the real world. Some people are actively encouraged and coached to learn new skills and abilites, others are discouraged and punished for it. So by the time people reach adulthood, this social conditioning amount to substantial diffrences in abilities, especially that "unused" brain cells are "trimmed out" during adolescence.

Wojtek