[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Feb 19 13:32:36 PST 2007

> Chuck wrote:
>

> >Well, we DO live in a police state and you don't have to be an American
> >person of color to point that out.
>

> We live in Lockdown America, as Christian Parenti calls it, but
> that's not the same as a police state.
>

> >The U.S. incarcerates more people than any other nation on the planet.
>

> You're not one of them. If we lived in a police state, you would be,
> wouldn't you?

Given American incarceration rates perhaps political dissidence partly takes the individualistic form (crime)? But more to the point, Chuck was arguing that to engage in serious political dissent at the collective level runs the risk of temporary incarceration. Being incarcerated by the state for peaceful dissent (no-matter) the length of the time is political repression organized by the state and carried out by the police. The only thing which mitigates against a "real" police state is an independent judiciary that does not seem too interested in allowing state sponsored political repression to go beyond police "harassment". Indeed in Canada the police and the Crown have had very little success in getting the courts to convict on the charges that are brought against political protesters. In a full police state the judiciary would simply rubber stamp the actions of the police.

Travis