[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 15:34:07 PST 2007

Bad attitude is not a crime and you have a constitutional right to taunt the police at a demo. If they bust your head for doing it, I and other Guild lawyers will defend you zealously. But the question here is not rights but smarts. You have a right to do lots of things it's dumb to do. Pointlessly provoking armed men and women who have a certain degree of immunity to bust your head and throw you in the can is basically annoying to everyone. It distracts from the point you might have been trying to make at the demos (end the war, etc.) and causes NLG lawyers, who work enough pro bono hours as it is, unnecessary unpaid work that might have gone to defense of people the cops brutalized without provocation. Besides, do you want to have your head busted and be thrown in the can just to make the point that cops can act like pigs? Don't they make that point clear enough a lot of the time without provocation? Why wave, ahem, red flags in front of angry bulls when there's no purpose to it or need for it?