[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:11:16 PST 2007

On 2/19/07, Liza Featherstone <lfeather at panix.com> wrote:
> I certainly didn't mean to imply that these particular plaintiffs had
> deliberately provoked cops or claimed they lived in a "police state."
> This was a more general comment -- I have been to and covered many,
> many protests and seen many protesters taunting cops on purpose, and
> heard many, many demonstrators yelling "this is what a police state
> looks like." This is extremely common and it's important to be honest
> about that to a left audience, so that readers know these folks are
> not just whiners or macho show-offs but actually have a real case.
> The sentence wasn't a description of the RNC protesters -- I agree
> they were extremely disciplined.

But why play the "good activists, bad activists" game? Especially since it's not as if it's legal for the police to mass-arrest people and detain them for a long time under horrible conditions if some young people taunted the police, yelled, "This is what a police state looks like," and so on? "Bad attitude" is not a crime, unless perhaps in a police state. :-> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>