[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Feb 19 18:42:27 PST 2007

I meant to imply some not all or even a majority. Akin to petty office theft spiking after lay-offs or pervieved managerial injustices.

> I agree with Travis in part here, although I don't
> think most crime is individualistic political dissent.
> (Much of it is illegal capitalistic enterprise -- both
> drug crimes and white collar crime.) In the US there
> are now some very disturbing police state tendencies
> over and above the usual overreaching by the
> authorities -- I mean the USA Patriot Act and other
> "anti-terrorist" measures that have nothing to do with
> fighting terrorism. But Travis is right taht if we
> lived in a full blown police state, we couldn't say so
> as we do, and stay (for the moment) free without fear
> of early morning knocks on the door and
> disappearances.
>
> As to Yoshie's claim that she's never seen
> provocations, I don't get it. What were you talking
> about before, then, saying truthfully that a bad
> attitude is not a crime? You whipsaw a lot, you know.

I have to say that most protests I have been to involved reaction to provocation by the cops (they are quite good at prevoking crowds) much of what passes for provocation on the part of protestors is actaully a response. And then there are the provocateurs which the media seems incapable of ever tracking and iostead they report them as protestors who prevoked the police. My experience is that police (in Canada) have become very sophisticated in their ability control, monitor, harass and target. I think the judiciary knows this and tha is why they discount police testimony at trials that invovle political dissent.