[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 19 19:52:57 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > My response is, one, her perception doesn't seem to be an accurate
> > picture of America today, where, (unlike America of the long sixties
> > or some countries where people are really fed up now), you hardly ever
> > see big, angry protests or uprisings, and two, even if some did behave
> > exactly as Liza says they often do, that's still not a crime, unless
> > in a police state.
>
> So what's your argument? That what Liza has seen (as have I) didn't
> really happen, or that if it did, it's not a crime?

You name it, it happened someplace sometime, but in all the demos I've been to since 1966 I have never seen serious provocation by the demonstrators but have seen some pretty aggressive provocation from the cops. I don't doubt your or Lisa's testimony -- I do doubt that it is any more generalizable than my experience or Yoshie's.

Eventually to stop the war there will have to be rather provocative actions by millions of people in small demos and large. But that's another question.

Carrol