[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Feb 19 19:34:28 PST 2007

> On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > My response is, one, her perception doesn't seem to be an accurate
> > picture of America today, where, (unlike America of the long sixties
> > or some countries where people are really fed up now), you hardly ever
> > see big, angry protests or uprisings, and two, even if some did behave
> > exactly as Liza says they often do, that's still not a crime, unless
> > in a police state.
>
> So what's your argument? That what Liza has seen (as have I) didn't
> really happen, or that if it did, it's not a crime?
>
> Doug

Perhaps if Liza had framed the problem as one of tactics which do and do not get sympathy from the general public (which is what I think she was trying to say) then Yoshie would not have reacted as she did. I think the point, for me anyway, is that it is a little unproductive to talk of good protestors versus bad protestors in abscence of a larger discussion about strategies and tactics.

Travis