[lbo-talk] NYPD acts like pigs

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:37:07 PST 2007

> On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:25 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > My response is, one, her perception doesn't seem to be an accurate
> > picture of America today, where, (unlike America of the long sixties
> > or some countries where people are really fed up now), you hardly ever
> > see big, angry protests or uprisings, and two, even if some did behave
> > exactly as Liza says they often do, that's still not a crime, unless
> > in a police state.
>
> So what's your argument? That what Liza has seen (as have I) didn't
> really happen, or that if it did, it's not a crime?

Have you and Liza actually been to "many, many protests" with "many protesters taunting cops on purpose" in this country? Like, how many?

And which protests?

Aside from the riots in LA (29 April-4 May 1992) and Cincinnati (10-12 April 2001), which weren't organized protests, and maybe the Battle of Seattle (30 November 1999), America in recent years, especially since 9/11, seems to me to be a placid place, where demos are more rituals than anything else.

We don't see anything like the general strike in Lebanon, the anti-CPE protest in France, the gas wars in Bolivia, the uprisings in Argentina, etc., to take a few recent examples from other countries so we can put demos here in perspective.

If American demos get any politer than they are now, we might think they are tea ceremonies. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>