[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 54, Issue 6

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Mon Feb 19 19:34:04 PST 2007

Of course I don't think activists should be arrested for yelling at the police, and of course it's legal to do that. But it's annoying and juvenile, and while there may be times when it makes sense -- for instance, if cops are engaging in misconduct, sometimes yelling at them can help by drawing a crowd to witness it -- mostly I think it's off-putting to people who might otherwise agree with you, and as andie suggests, a waste of the time and money of all the worthy lefty organizations and people who will then work hard to defend your First Amendment rights. As for the notion that this stuff doesn't happen, sorry, I have no idea why you haven't seen these sort of antics; obviously we've just been to different protests.

Liza