[lbo-talk] Fwd: [forum-ffe] un autre article de Marianne

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 01:57:46 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:
> > Of course, Royal's youth policy is preferable to Sarkozy's, and so is
> > her immigration policy (which also has large implications for youth
> > policy), but she still refuses to pledge to work to legalize most
> > undocumented immigrants (cf.
> > <http://www.desirsdavenir.org/index.php?c=actualites&actu=832> and
> > <http://www.desirsdavenir.org/index.php?c=dossier&id=870&dossier=13>).
> > Note that she sounds far less clearly in favor of large-scale
> > regularization than did Laurent Fabius (cf.
> > <http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/france/0,,3298415,00.html>), whom she
> > defeated in the primary (I gather that new members Royal brought into
> > the SP are from the fickle center, not from the newly politicized
> > among the socially excluded).
>
> I don't agree with that. The first link you quote has one line (the
> second paragraph) where she says she does not agree with global
> regularization, but _all_ the following items practically cancel that
> stance. I think this page has more to be read in the context of the
> election. Everything she proposes are technical measures that ensure
> the greatest number of irregular stayers are treaded the fairest
> possible.
>
> > 98- Instituer un visa permettant des aller-retour multiples sur
> > plusieurs années, afin que les migrations s'adaptent aux besoins
> > réels du marché du travail.
> >
> > 99- Rétablir la règle des 10 ans comme critère de régularisation.
> >
> > 100- Régulariser les sans papiers à partir de critères fondés sur
> > la durée de présence en France, la scolarisation des enfants et la
> > possession ou la promesse d'un contrat de travail.
>
> I don't know where the other members are from, but I don't consider
> myself to be from the fickle center. But that, or course, depends on
> where one stands.
>
> > In the end, I'm afraid she would come across as too left for
> > center-right voters she has been wooing all along and too right for
> > far-left voters she sought to win back by the economic promises in the
> > pact.
>
> No because she speaks a lot of common sense. I think most of her
> discourse can be objectively seen as more left than anything the PS
> as _actually_ done since 81. As for the few measures that the media
> pick to create their headlines (what you mention regarding youth
> "control") it is mostly taken out of context. In this specific case
> it is not about he youth but about delinquency _and_ it comes with a
> huge education package that is made to reduce the need for such
> "control".

But she isn't elected president yet, and discourse is all we have here, and very rarely do politicians do better than their campaign rhetoric once they get elected. Does her discourse attempt to speak to working-class youth or those who fear them and their real and imagined delinquency? Does it send a strong message of welcome to immigrants looking for left-wing leadership or does it cater to the fear of those who are ambivalent about their presence, wishing to include educated and employed immigrants but exclude uneducated and unemployed ones, especially those who have yet to arrive? -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>