[lbo-talk] Fwd: [forum-ffe] un autre article de Marianne

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 03:28:30 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:

> On 21 févr. 07, at 18:57, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > But she isn't elected president yet, and discourse is all we have
> > here, and very rarely do politicians do better than their campaign
> > rhetoric once they get elected. Does her discourse attempt to speak
> > to working-class youth or those who fear them and their real and
> > imagined delinquency? Does it send a strong message of welcome to
> > immigrants looking for left-wing leadership or does it cater to the
> > fear of those who are ambivalent about their presence, wishing to
> > include educated and employed immigrants but exclude uneducated and
> > unemployed ones, especially those who have yet to arrive?
>
> I am very far from France, but the streams I watched:
>
> > The format is new: a high profile politician is asked questions
> > live by 50 citizens. Sarkozy was the first. Royal was live last night.
> >
> > The stream is available at:
> > http://www.desirsdavenir-clamart.net/
> >
> > Also, the stream of February 11 is at:
> > http://www.segolene-video.org/index.php?name=segolene-villepinte
> >
> > Same days, François Hollande:
> > http://www.segolene-video.org/index.php?name=francois-villepinte
>
> as well as the things I read show a person who is _not_ populist, but
> practical and who attempts to address issues of the people who
> suffer: the youth/women/low wages/elderly people/migrants/small-
> medium enterprises. She specifically attacks big enterprises that lay
> off people to increase the dividends of share holders etc.
>
> I consider myself an anti-racist left person with ecologist
> sympathies and I have yet to find something is the system she
> describes that disturbs me. Basically, everything I heard that was
> weird and very conservative sounding were out of context excerpts of
> her speeches. I am not saying that she is perfect. But even José Bové
> has declared he invited his supported to vote for her on the second
> round.

Well, between Royal and Sarkozy in the second round, I'd vote for her, too, but that's not the question I'm asking here. The question is where she has and is taking the SP and the country through her political campaign, which is itself part of political education.

In the absence of a strong challenge from the anti-liberal Left (imho, the anti-liberal left should have run José Bové as their unity candidate, but their sectarianism prevented them), Royal sought to distance herself and her campaign from the Left (even the SP itself), her youth and immigration policies being important signals sent to center-right voters that she is not beholden to the Left ("very conservative" elements are not "weird" if you see them in this context). And when she tried to take a left tack with her economic promises of the presidential pact, her economic advisor, who evidently couldn't stomach inconsistency, quit acrimoniously.*

Royal may yet make a comeback, but, even if she wins, her campaign will not have helped to move French electoral politics (which is surprisingly conservative relative to the rates of participation in and approval of workers and students' strikes, demos, etc.) to left, more in line with French politics of streets.

<http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2274478.ece> Royal row: Ségolène aide quits campaign over 'zig-zag' policies By John Lichfield in Paris Published: 16 February 2007

Although he [Eric Besson] refused to comment publicly, friends said he had been exasperated by Mme Royal's failure to establish clear lines of strategy and communication within her campaign.

She, and some of her advisers, thought that it was tactically more astute to avoid debate on the cost of her promises, including extra spending on job creation, schools, research and housing. Others, including M. Besson, thought they had authority to price her plans at €35bn (£24bn).

It was illogical, M. Besson argued, for Mme Royal to stress the burden of France's national debt in her speech, and then not face up to the cost of her own programme and how it was to be funded. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>