[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:20:59 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> > * I assure you our housing market had never gone crazy
> > even before the
> > recent downturn. The office you are paying $5,000+ per month for in
> > Manhattan may be had perhaps for as little as $1,500. Organize Ohio,
> > while saving money, and you'll never see a Republican majority again!
>
> The housing market in Kansas City took a nosedive in 2006. The graph
> printed in the paper showing new home sales looks like a mountain with a
> steep cliff on the 2006 side.
>
> You can get a small office for $500-$1000/month in the burbs of Kansas
> City. The bottom fell out of our office market too.

Another thing to consider is that Manhattan, where many movement leaders and intellectuals seem determined to to have offices, is not a hospitable place for growing a Left that can challenge the Democratic Party. An absence of news about New York activists occupying HRC's offices, in contrast to occupations of Democratic congresspeople's offices in Toledo, OH, Denver, CO, Sacramento, CA, etc., is an index of the Democratic Party hegemony over NY leftists. (Is that because NY leftists need Democrats for rent control and stablization to be able to live in Manhattan at all?)

That's been done and being done: for March 17-19, UFPJ is calling national days of demonstrations (cf. <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>), as it did last year (cf. <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=96>) and the year before that (cf. <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=16>). Not particularly memorable, were they?

And this year, I'm afraid UFPJ is calling a national day of action over that weekend in part because ANSWER had called for a march in DC on the same weekend (cf. <http://answer.pephost.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ANS_homepage>) and TONC had called for an encampment in DC beginning on March 12 (cf. <http://www.troopsoutnow.org/>). Curb your sectarianism! -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>