[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:09:38 PST 2007

tfast wrote:

> > Why all this travel? Save time & energy & organize coordinated local
> > protests. Why can't we have a national day (or two) against the war,
> > with demos in hundreds of cities?
> >
> > Doug
> >
> Yah and spread the OT pay around for all the police.

As I said i 2001 and again in 2003, the point of anti-war activity is NOT to have any immediate effect (though unusually large and at least embryonically unruly would possibly make rulers spend an extra 10 minutes thinking before doing anything really insane -- but that is daydreaming). The point is to organize, recruit, and educate for a protracted struggle. Unfortunately the national 'leaders' (those able to set dates) either do daydream about immediate effect or, MUCH MORE probable, concentrate on maintaining their positions of 'leadership.' That means that all currently important activity is in the localities. National demos, stupid or not, do help in this process. We slumped locally in 2004 because Lesloe Cagan & other NYC motherfuckers didn't want to inerfere with the DP campaign. Had their been national demos we could have created local demos around them, and in the process at least have kept more of our original activists with us instead of boring them to death.

Carrol