[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 22 13:00:47 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why all this travel? Save time & energy & organize coordinated local
> protests. Why can't we have a national day (or two) against the war,
> with demos in hundreds of cities?

Sounds good to me! That's what will be happening in March anyways.

My point about a national mobilization in a Midwest city like Columbus is that the national anti-war coalitions, with their resources, could be trying things like this, but they aren't. I would expect that a serious national anti-war organization would be trying things like this, instead of just doing the same thing over and over and over again in NYC, DC and San Francisco. If you *really* want to end the war, doesn't it stand to reason that you'll try new strategies?

Some of the smaller national groups have shown more strategic vision.

The War Resister's League, very much a New York-based anti-war group, has been organizing several national campaigns in recent years. One of those campaigns, Stop the Merchants of Death, was about organizing appearances of anti-war speakers on college campuses and in small cities. I helped a bit with this campaign. I found out how hard it is to organize in the Midwest and the South.

Chuck