[lbo-talk] War Losses Mount for Small Towns

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Feb 22 13:35:22 PST 2007

At 04:00 PM 2/22/2007, you wrote:
>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Why all this travel? Save time & energy & organize coordinated local
> > protests. Why can't we have a national day (or two) against the war,
> > with demos in hundreds of cities?
>
>Sounds good to me! That's what will be happening in March anyways.

but, it's a demo. it's pretty standard to read/hear people complain about how stupid demos are. I happen to think they have a purpose, but if they are staid and risk-averse in NYC, nothing much is going to change in Columbus. Unless you're just hoping to deal with pork power that's a lot less apt to use NYC tactics?

The something else that has to be done, really isn't organizing some massive protest in the mid-west, I don't think. Yoshie mentions that they aren't memorable. I think that's more a function of the fact that people just aren't interested in doing the same old, same old. Like I said, I think they have their purposes, but my reading of the typical anti-war liberal is that they aren't into demos since they haven't accomplished a whole lot.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)