[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 17:01:45 PST 2007

>You can weave a great communist myth out of the Santa Claus
>story..red suit...gives away stuff for free...knows what everyone is
>doing (strike that thats a Bush fantasy)
>
> jim

Rennie Sparks, one half of the Handsome Family, wrote a great xmas song (lyrics below) called "Stupid Bells". When she was little Sparks was with her mom at the mall and they saw Santa. Her mom told her to stay away from him because he started World War II. Here's the story in an interview with Sparks by Lydia Lunch.

Alright, so let's just start in with this. Now, did your mother really tell you that Santa Claus started World War II? (laughs) RS: (laughs) Yeah. I was brought up Jewish, but my parents they're really into art, they're athiests, and they claimed that religion was the cause of all troubles. LL: I agree with them. RS: And I agree, in certain respects. I mean, when I was a kid, they thought that if I didn't know about Christmas, I would be safe. So they didn't tell me anything about it. Then one day, we were in the mall, and we saw this man wearing a red suit, out front. I said "Who is that?" She said "Don't go near him! He's a very bad man." (laughs) And I said "why?" She said, "because he started World War II." LL: Oh, that's so wonderful. RS: (laughs) So I was terrified of him for a very long time. But then I heard from someone in Sweden who told me that they were always told that Santa Claus was in red because he was wearing bloody reindeer skins. LL: Ohhhhhh. RS: There's a lot of blood and guts involved with wearing that suit. LL: Exactly. That's what Christmas is, using your blood and guts, fraudulently, to celebrate a pagan holiday. It has nothing to do with the original theme other than to spend all your money. I'm very anti-Christmas. Gene loves Christmas. RS: But you know, it's encouraging to me that people still seem to need the red, even though we have taken it so far away from the blood. And the green of trees, and we still know there's some reason why the red and the green are important. Even though most people don't want to consciously talk about nature and blood and all that sort of stuff.

http://www.handsomefamily.com/sexandgutsinterview.html

Stupid Bells The Handsome Family

Christmas day is really neat I walk downtown in my bare feet All the stores are locked up tight Snow is falling bright and white

I wish I'd find something to eat The air is filled with the smell of meat Maybe behind the Burger King I'll find some half-chewed onion rings

Christmas day is really cool You don't have to go to school Lay down on the icy ground Wait for Santa to come around

Christmas is the season where most folks kill themselves Christmas is the reason for all those stupid bells

While the children are away Listening for the sound of sleighs I'll light the playground all on fire Find a schoolbus, slash its tyres

Christmas day is when I'll go Down your chimney, say hello Your dad will give me his cigars Your mum will give me her new car

Baby's crying in its crib Maybe 'cause I stole his bib Took its toys and took its room Hope that we'll be eating soon

Repent sinners! This pagan holiday full of tree worship and fairy lights is an affront to Jehovah! The candy cane is Satan's walking stick! Merry Christmas from the Handsome Family!

http://www.handsomefamily.com/