[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:58:16 PST 2007

I could be mis-remembering, but isn't 'opiate of the masses' only half the karl marx religion one-liner? Isn't it also 'the heart of a heartless world'? I always thought that half of the sentence acted almost a caveat, a qualification of the flat assertion it is a consciousness distraction; that it expressed something of the sense how, to an atheist like Karl, religion attempted to put spiritual meaning (heart) into a world that lacks it, is heartless in more ways than one. But on the other hand, it's not really heartless if he says religion puts the heart in--- that is, the religious subjectively create on their own spiritual meaning for their world. This doesn't change his fundamental opinion that its in the way, but I think reflects a more nuanced view of what the religious are trying to do for their world through belief.

'Heart of a heartless world" would make a nice woodcut or something. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070226/a855a6c2/attachment.htm>