[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 26 23:13:31 PST 2007

B. wrote:

> Okay, so we should "understand" religionists. (And
> like I 've said, I've actually read the Qur'an cover
> to cover -- about as far out as the Bible.) So where's
> the pressure for them to understand US? NPR? PBS?
> Pfft.

I have no interest in "understanding" religionists. I was raised in the conservative Lutheran tradition. I understand how religious people see the world.

I really don't get the leftists on this list who respond to us atheists with arguments that we don't understand all of the activism that religious leftists are doing. I think that most of us here are well-versed in what the religious left is doing. The fact that I profess my hostility and skpeticism towards religion doesn't mean that I'm instantly ignorant about Unitarians, Quakers and Catholic Workers.

I respect religious leftists and the work they are doing. I'd like to see a world free of the fundamentalists, so those of us who are irreligious can live in harmony with people who adhere to tolerant, progressive religious and spiritual beliefs.

But I see no reason why atheist progressives should engage in self-censorship about our ideas towards religion. The world could do with more hostility towards religion.

Chuck