[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:11:12 PST 2007

Chris Doss wrote:
> Isn't the belief in an afterlife and gods of some sort
> a near human cultural universal? The natures of those
> things may vary considerably, but I cannot offhand
> think of a single counterexample (though I am not a
> comparative anthropologist!).

Not really. Sociologists who study religion point out that the belief in gods tends to emerge when societies develop rigid political hierarchies (the "King" or "Chief" is mirrored in the spiritual world by a god or gods). In hunting and gathering societies, belief in gods is the exception rather than the rule (animism differs dramatically from deity worship).

Miles