[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 21:01:11 PST 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu>

Human beings have been coping with knowledge of death for tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years.

I am shocked to read this; I thought the earth was only 6,000 years old.

For only a small proportion of that time have their fears been assuaged by organized religion.

No shit.

There is no historical evidence that supports your implied claim that organized religion is inevitable because people have to cope with death. (People throughout the ages and across various cultures have developed many interesting ways to deal with death!)

It is you *projecting* an interpretation 'onto' my words, so I'll just be self-serving and assert you claim is false. I was not implying the claim you assert I am making, I was simply sticking with the context of the previous few posts; namely religion and somewhat contemporary politics.

JFC,

Ian