[lbo-talk] Just how bad has it gotten?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:47:47 PST 2007

Doug:

On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Margaret Kimberley published ten questions in today's Black Agenda
> Report (www.blackagendareport.com) that I think should define a
> minimal progressive platform:
> 1. Will you end the occupation of Iraq?
> 2. Will Jose Padilla still be in prison? Will you close Guantanamo?
> 3. Will you enact a plan for universal health care?
> 4. Will your administration demand that Israel cease committing
> human rights abuses and waging war against its neighbors?
> 5. Will you keep abortion legal?
> 6. Will you reverse the Patriot Act and other attacks on civil
> liberties?
> 7. Will you rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast?
> 8. Will you decrease the prison population?
> 9. Will you expose the criminal acts of the Bush administration?
> 10. Will you protect voting rights?
> There's nothing radical here

Sorry to say this, but by the standards of 2007, this is pretty radical.

[WS:] Au contraire, I think it is quite pathetic. Releasing jail birds next to Israel and universal health care, but not a word on improving economic conditions, educational opportunities, or employment opportunities of the Black working class, or abolishing idiotic drug laws that keep prisons full and drug dealers in business. Yeah, right. Releasing criminals to neighborhoods already struggling with economic hardship, drugs and crime is exactly what the working class Blacks need.

Wojtek