[lbo-talk] Marxism and religion

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 28 16:14:32 PST 2007

Marx was not claiming opium was very bad as James claims. I think James is projecting his opium fears onto Marx. Marx was not considering opium as a recreational drug primarily either. I know more about opium than Marx but his claim always seemed to me to be more consistent with the idea that opium did much good and much harm. Neither exclusively and neither more than the other. Opium was a mixed bag in his days. It worked wonders relieving pain and was considered a miracle substance but it was beginning to be understood as capable of causing pain as well.

John Thornton