[lbo-talk] Reasons to be cheerful

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Feb 28 17:52:48 PST 2007

Yoshie wrote:

> Today, most secular leftists do not propose that such absolute poverty
> can, will, or should be abolished or that North-South gaps can, will,
> or should be closed, let alone all exploitation and oppression be
> ended. (Those who still do have no idea how.)

Everyone knows what it will take to abolish the gap: the creation of developmental states in the global periphery and semi-periphery, plus new types of proletarian organizing in the core. Optimism of the Euro-will, pessimism of the keiretsu intellect!

> Facing the real absence of any worldly project of human liberation

Fear not, the last time I checked, Chavez' ALBA, the Chinese developmental state, the Japanese postal savings bank, and the European Union are doing just fine.

-- DRR