[lbo-talk] Marxism and Religion

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Feb 28 19:59:21 PST 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> In other words, the main structural cause of extreme poverty both in the Us
> and developing countries is the unemployability - due to the lack of human
> capital and investments - of large segments of the population. Government
> handouts will not solve those structural problems, only perpetuate them.

The implication here is that we can solve the problem of poverty by increasing employment. Talk about stopgap! I still say it loud and proud: one of our incorruptible goals must be abolition of the wage system. The fundamental problem is that we have an economic system that systematically concentrates the wealth in the hands of a few capitalists, not the workers. The "human capital" of the poor is more or less irrelevant.

Miles