[lbo-talk] Re: Re: 3,000 Lights for 3,000 US Military Deaths

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 09:32:01 PST 2007

> "Critical solidarity" has perhaps devolved to 99.99% criticism of
> foreign governments and movements and 0.01% solidarity with
> foreigners. :->
>
> When we had a little discussion about our shares of political
> responsibility for what's happening in Iraq, the only LBO-talk member
> who stood up to claim responsibility was Ravi, an Indian man, the rest
> insisting that their "hands are clean." Just as many multinationals
> have outsourced jobs to India, China, etc., maybe US leftists have to
> outsource political responsibility to foreigners: hire foreigners to
> hold candles for dead US soldiers! :-|
> --
> Yoshie

Oh come on Yoshie. A smiley-faced emoticon doesn't make hyperbole any more useful. 99.99%, huh? How'd you measure that? When hating on the US left for addiction to failure (a habit I indulge in plenty myself), you might temper it with a reflection on how bunkering down in a university sitting on computers all day long doesn't really turn the tide either. Not only do I believe myself and other residents of the US bear grave responsibility for the horror in Iraq, I happen to be fixated on it personally in a way that rarely leaves my mind. Almost all bile leftists sling among and between themselves about their collective failure/wrongness/responsibility/whatever, is on its face better spent motivating them to talk instead to non-leftists about these issues.
:)