[lbo-talk] Disappointed, says India

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jan 1 09:31:32 PST 2007

The Hindu http://www.thehindu.com/

Sunday, Dec 31, 2006

Front Page

Disappointed, says India http://www.hindu.com/2006/12/31/stories/2006123118910100.htm

Sandeep Dikshit

NEW DELHI: India has described the execution of the former Iraqi President, Saddam Hussein, as "unfortunate'' and hoped it would not affect the stability of Iraq, even as protest demonstrations erupted all over the country, leading to the Centre asking States to tighten security around all foreign missions.

"We had already expressed the hope that the execution would not be carried out. We are disappointed that it has been. We hope that this unfortunate event will not affect the process of reconciliation, restoration of peace and normalcy in Iraq,'' said External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee in a statement.

On hearing the confirmation of the death sentence awarded to Mr. Hussein by the Appeals Court in Baghdad earlier this week, India had hoped execution would not be carried out and the former President's life spared. ``We would also hope that no steps are taken which might obstruct the process of reconciliation and delay the restoration of peace in Iraq,'' the External Affairs Ministry said on Tuesday.

States alerted

The Centre issued a general alert to all the states to strengthen security around foreign missions.

It also issued a special note to the Delhi Police, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu where the U.S. embassy and its consulate generals are located, asking them to further tighten security.

"There is no special threat, but we have only issued a general advisory,'' National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan told newspersons.

"Intensify vigil''

Goa had been asked to intensify vigil around its hotels and beaches, which see a large congregation of foreign tourists this time of the year.

Copyright © 2006, The Hindu.