[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 15:08:56 PST 2007

On 1/1/07, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Somebody correct we if I'm wrong, but were not the
> Anarchists almost the undisputed masters of the pogrom
> during the Russian Civil War? They far outdid the
> Whites in indiscriminate murder. Second only to the
> Ukrainian nationalists.

I have read conflicting accounts of Makhno and his army as regards pogroms. Far outdid the Whites in slaughter I rather doubt but evidence is there that Jews were killed by Makhno's forces. Peasants do these kinds of things according to Doss. Without looking in to this again (I did some googling years ago on this) I suspect that the historians who allege this, deny or engage in Charles Brownian apologetics for the Stalinized Bolsheviks. http://www.google.com/search?q=Makhno+pogroms

Cute turn around of a title by LDT. The Anarchist School of Falsification Moreover, "do not speak of pogroms alleged to have been organised by Makhno himself. That is a slander or an error. Nothing of the sort occurred. ... flag.blackened.net/revolt/anarchism/writers/anarcho/left/letters/fifrimperialism.html

MY DISILLUSIONMENT IN RUSSIA: CHAPTER 11 Makhno bitterly fought pogroms, they stated; he had often issued proclamations against such outrages, and he had even with his own hand punished some of ... dwardmac.pitzer.edu/Anarchist_Archives/goldman/disillusion/ch11.html

-- Michael Pugliese