[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 22:26:55 PST 2007

The body count of the Stalin era is still hotly debated. Getty's the best source. My understanding is that (last time I checked), there were about 7 million deaths due to collectivization in the early 30's, between 750,000 and 1,500,000 directly killed (shot, mostly) in the Great Purge of 1937-39 (called the Yezhovshchina, after Stalin's Secret Police chief of the period), and some hundreds of thousands in the little purge of the Zhdanov era at the start of the cold war. However, this does not include the deaths from exposure, overwork, and starvation in the Gulag from 1927-53, which if counted (and why not?) would push the figure back to maybe 18-25 million. And you might blame some impossible-to-calculate millions of the 25 millions of the Great Patriotic War on Stalin's criminal negligence with regard to Hitler's intentions after the Pact. (That one, Doug, you can probably pin on the Father of Peoples personally.)

http://www.socialaffairsunit.org.uk/blog/archives/001190.php