[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 01:04:32 PST 2007

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Story I believe was told by Isaac Babel, a Jewish
> Bolshie who rode with red Cossacks, was one of the
> great short story writers of the 20s and 30s, was
> murdered in the purges. Anyway, as I recall, Babel
> reported that he heard a Red Cossack sneer at Lenin,
> "that Jew" hiding in the Kremlin, and compare him
> invidiously to a "real Russian" like Trotsky, who
> was
> fighting at the front.

That is a good book. Where is that account from? I've heard it before, but don't recollect it from RC specifically (I may be misremembering though.)

My girlfriend's grandmother was a Cossack. Being female and a child at the time, I doubt she was doing much fighting or had any particulat political allegiance. :)