[lbo-talk] Bono, Whitney and other Miscellaneous Musings and Mutterings

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 16:34:03 PST 2007

Hi all

A few months ago I came across live fist-fighting on telly; what on earth would they think of next, I thought. Then I come across stories likes this, and I am reminded about how nothing is really new, or unique to any place and time - it's just farcical

Bare-fist bouts a knockout with SAfrica fight fans Tue 02 Jan, 11:20 PM

GABA VILLAGE, South Africa (Reuters) - Yanked from the sweaty crush, Victor Makhuvha puffs out his chest, throws a few bare-fisted jabs and minutes later finishes off his opponent with several rapid-fire blows.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/02012007/2/photo/bare-fist-bouts-knockout-safrica-fight-fans.html

LBO at 20...

Ten years ago, almost, when I first took a break from journalism/professional life to go to the London School of Economics (finished the M and returned AGAIN a few years ago, to start the PHD - when will I ever learn!?) I came across the LBO! Amazing how time flies. Met Doug a few years later... and then there was Ivan.

Mazel Tov to you both...

Bono and Whitney

Sometime during the Mid-Eighties, during what we called the Amnesty Concerts (against apartheid etc), I interviewed Bono; he seemed completely oblivious to the political implications, dimensions of the concerts. I was astounded by his ignorance. At about the same time there were anti-apartheid /free mandela concerts in various places, i attended the one in London, and remember distinctly that Ms Huston did not want to do 'anything political'...Shortly after Mandela was released from prison her handlers lined her up (like most other 'celebs,' including Bono) to have her picture taken with the president... again, i was astounded by her ignorance and expediency...

THese people are quite shameless - GOOD for the Scottish geezer, who heckled Bono!

I must, say, though, the U2 are a lot better to listen to...

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070102/52a96847/attachment.htm>