[lbo-talk] Mass same-sex marriage news

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 2 16:07:37 PST 2007

From: "Ken Sherrill" <ken at kensherrill.com> Date: January 2, 2007 7:02:42 PM EST To: "Kenslist" <kenslist at groups.queernet.org>

-----Original Message----- From: Martha Ackelsberg [mailto:mackelsb at email.smith.edu] Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:43 PM Subject: Up-date from Mass Legislator Stan Rosenberg on today's Mass.vote

Please forward to those interested. Martha'--------

I am writing to provide a report on today's meeting of the Constitutional Convention which is the last of this legislative term.

The news is mixed, but in my opinion should not be depressing. There was insufficient support in the legislature to use parliamentary maneuvers to block the progress of the citizen initiative to ban same sex marriage. As a result we voted on the citizen initiative itself and our opponents got 62 votes, which is 12 more than the necessary 50 to advance it to the next legislative session. Even after a successful vote to reconsider that decision we were unable to move any additional members today so the matter does move to the next convention.

The good news is that their 12 vote margin of victory will be reduced by 7 votes as there will be a net gain for our side among the freshmen legislators to be sworn in tomorrow. So we will then only need to find 5 new votes for our side prior to the next convention. That next convention can take place any time as early as next week and no later than July 31st, 2008. With Governor-Elect Deval Patrick and Speaker Dimasi as strong supporters of same-sex marriage, I am very optimistic that we will be able to find the votes to defeat the amendment in the next term.

So while today is not the kind of day we've been used to in this long journey with regard to this issue, it is still a day that offers us some real hope for ultimate success. As I have said on many other occasions, this is a civil rights struggle and civil rights struggles are long, protracted, sometimes frustrating, and always challenging. We must therefore be vigilant and maintain our resolve, energy, and focus.

I am committed to continuing my efforts in this struggle and will do my very best to help achieve the victories we need in order to protect the rights of the LGBT community.

Stan Rosenberg