[lbo-talk] Possible conference on "Guaranteed Income" - April 2007

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 3 15:31:45 PST 2007

[which is why, of course, the bourgeoisie hates the idea - via aut-op- sy]

From: "Ed Emery" <ed.emery at britishlibrary.net> Date: December 31, 2006 8:49:03 AM EST To: <ed.emery at britishlibrary.net> Subject: [AUT] Possible conference on "Guaranteed Income" - April 2007 List-Archive: <https://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/aut-op-sy>

Dear Colleagues,

Those of you who attended the April 2006 conference on Immaterial Labour may recall that I suggested that there might be a 2007 interim conference prior to the next Cambridge conference (planned for April 2008).

My suggestion was that such a conference should be on the subject of "guaranteed income", understood in its broadest and most expansive conception. This conference (or seminar... or weekend workshop...) would be held in April 2007.

My own interest in such a conference would be (for instance) to explore how the "guaranteed income" provided the material underpinning of the autonomous movements of the 1970s in the UK. For instance:

- lay-off pay in the factories guaranteed continuity of autonomous militant action on the shopfloor;

- social security for strikers' families guaranteed incomes that made strikes a viable form of struggle;

- unemployment benefits provided incomes that enabled militant activists to pursue their activities while being paid by the state etc;

- social security for unsupported mothers was the material basis for the militant feminism of the early 1970s;

- claimants' unions worked to break the class split between the employed and the unemployed during the early phase of industrial restructuring/decomposition.

Etc etc.

If anybody would like to attend such a conference, or would like to offer a paper, please write and tell me.

If there is sufficient interest, I shall set it up.

With best regards,

Ed Emery