[lbo-talk] Fwd: Dinesh D'Souza on the Value of Traditional Religious Values

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 5 08:49:38 PST 2007

[a press release on D'Souza's latest - Billy Moyers?]

Just checking in on one of our January titles that is sure to spark debate in the New Year. Dinesh D’Souza takes on the most talked about, dissected topic of our day and gives us a startling, controversial reading on the causes and possible cures for the war on terror in THE ENEMY AT HOME: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11 (Doubleday; On-sale: January 16, 2007).

D’Souza reveals that the war on terror is not, as many have claimed, being waged by Christian conservatives. He asserts that the war truly is a war against Islam, and the leaders of America’s cultural left are leading the charge. People like Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, Barney Frank, Billy Moyers, and Michael Moore are responsible for 9/11 in two ways: by fostering a decadent and depraved American culture that angers and repulses other societies— especially traditional and religious ones—and by promoting, at home and abroad, an anti-American attitude that blames America for all the problems of the world. It is the export of America’s decadent pop culture, leftist ideas, and secular values that has led to the rise of virulent Anti-Americanism throughout the world. Liberals outspoken opposition to American foreign policy—including the way the Bush Administration is conducting the war on terror—contributes to the growing hostility, encouraging people both at home and abroad to blame America for the problems of the world.

Some of his startling revelations include:

· The right must stop its petty infighting and engage in a concerted political campaign to expose the left as the enemy at home. In order to achieve its own objectives, the left is serving as bin Laden’s unpaid public relations team in America, and conservatives should not be afraid to say this.

· Muslims are right: the West is waging a war against Islam. · Our decadent and depraved American culture angers and repulses other societies—especially traditional and religious societies, and not to mention religious conservatives at home.

· The cultural left encourages, both in America and abroad, an America-hating foreign policy that blames America for the problems of the world.

· By attacking the depravity of the left, conservatives can win friends among Muslims and other traditional people around the world.

THE ENEMY AT HOME reveals the powerful and potentially deadly bond between the war on terror and our culture war at home and argues that we can not win one without the other. D’Souza is available for interviews, but in the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions or would like a copy of the book.